Saturday, January 15, 2011

for my pops.

happy birthday to the first man in my life...the one who infused music & wonder into my bones...the one who taught me to be transparent & real by sheer example, to trust & question equally, to stand up for the little guy, to accept people where they are & respect where they have been...the man my friends call superman. 



i could go on...but he has probably already crawled under a rock to hide from this affectionate post. here's a video or two that reminds me of my pops. music is our first language. 

happy birthday, mr. howard.










There's something like a line of gold thread running through a man's words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself.  ~John Gregory Brown

2 comments:

  1. I know you've heard me say this before, and I'm not sure he knows, but your father was always one of my very favorite people when I loaned money. I don't know if it was his way with people or the tone of his voice that was soothing but I would throw someone out of my office to make room for him (okay that's a stretch) He is a joy.. Happy Birthday Big guy..; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably my favorite of your posts. and i love that picture of you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete