Sunday, May 8, 2011

word to your mother.





the following is based on a true story. 

thirty-two years ago candace e. howard celebrated her first mother's day with a 3 month old baby girl. she was a very young woman...a girl really. this brave woman had trudged through a tremendously difficult pregnancy, a vast majority of the time on crutches with a broken femur. and yet still worked. she had nearly lost her own life in labor, giving her own for mine.  
over the next 3 decades, she overcame circumstances that most would crumble beneath. my mother stood tall...and persevered...and dedicated her life to this baby girl when she was a child herself. raising me was far from easy. she made unimaginable sacrifices to give me this life, but i do not remember seeing my mother feel sorry herself ever. 
never. ever. 
so when it came time to purchase my mother's day card this year, every single one seemed remarkably inadequate. there's no card about gardening or baking or shopping that encompasses ms. howard. 
she's a gem. 
a hero. 
a thoughtful & tender soul. 
an open mind, constantly devouring books & stories. 
she is a quietly but fiercely competitive. 
a loyal advocate. a renown listener. 
an always-there-for-you-even-when-you-are-wrong-kind-of-friend. 

so here's my hug from 974 miles away, mom. 
i love you dearly. 
thank you. 





1 comment:

  1. oh my, i had forgotten about the broken femur! it gives me perspective, as i've been struggling with pains in my leg. thank The Lord it's not horribly broken! what a story. what a mother! happy to know her. and, of course, ever-so-grateful that you were brought into the world. =)

    ReplyDelete